Monday, September 27, 2010

Well.. that was interesting...

Today all our lessons were taught by Chef Gilles.  Yikes!

Demo #027 was Creme Dubarry (Cream of Cauliflower soup), Mignon de porc Arlonnaise (pork tenderloin in beer sauce) and Profiteroles glacees, sauce chocolat.  The pork tenderloin was the practical, so I'll talk about the other two.  The cauliflower soup had almost zero taste to it.. it basically tasted like cream, salt and pepper.  There may have been subtle hints of cauliflower but maybe my palette is refined enough to taste it.  The Profiteroles are this pastry that is frozen and then filled with this frozen creme anglaise and then smothered with chocolate sauce.  Very tasty!

Practical #027 went very smoothly.  The english tranlsation on the recipe was "Pork tenderloin with sweet and sour beer sauce, Julienne of vegetables".  Since it's an exam dish, I'll describe the recipe in a REVIEW post.. but I didn't have any major problems with this.  My julienne were standard size, and sauce came out just a little bit not acidic enough, but the tenderloin was cooked perfectly.  I asked for a 2h15m serving time and was ready as needed.  Could have been done sooner, but people are starting to hoard the bowls and monopolize the small pots.  It's frustrating... during the finals, I hope people aren't going to do this.

Demo #028 didn't have an exam dish, so I found my mind wandering.  It's getting harder and harder to pay attention to anything that isn't going to be on the exam.  The dishes were Gaspacho (cold vegetable soup that you make in a blender), Pintadeau roti sur capage avec pommes paille (small roasted poultry with deep fried straw cut fries), and Gateau de Savoie.  Maybe Chef Gilles was tired, but he severely undercooked the poultry and used an electric mixer!!!  We ended up getting out at 6pm, so who am I to complain?  It looked nice on presentation.  Tomorrow morning we have to do the poultry for practical #028.  But again, it's not an exam dish, so I won't be too stressed.  I should go study now.

Stay classy!
-THC

No comments:

Post a Comment