Sunday, August 29, 2010

Welcome!

Tomorrow, I will be starting 5 weeks of basic training in French cuisine at a pretty famous cooking school.  A couple people have told me they're interested in hearing about it, so I figured I'd start this blog.


Why did I name my blog "The Harvard Cook"?  Well, let's just say the application process to the cooking school is not particularly "rigorous"... essentially, a resume, and a letter of motivation (and a rather large cheque) will get you in. This is my second time going to cooking school, the first being a month-long stint in Mexico, so the letter of motivation was quite easy to write.  I had thought about writing "To meet and/or impress hot chicks." and seeing if I got in, but with a $500 non-refundable application fee, I figured it'd be a bad idea to get too cheeky.

The afternoon I got notification (at work) that I was accepted, I went downstairs to the other office to announce (tongue-in-cheek) to my co-workers that today was the greatest day of my life, and this was my greatest accomplishment.  The exchange went something like this:

THC: "I got accepted!!! This is pretty much like getting accepted to the Harvard of Cooking Schools! This is the greatest day of my life! FREEEEEEDDDDOOOM"
Office Drone 1: "Didn't you say that they accept pretty much everyone?"
THC: "Shush you..."
OD2: "My sister went to cooking school too!  In Saskatchewan!"
THC: "That's niiiice... "
OD3: "Isn't it really hard to get into the real Harvard??"
THC: <muttering> "I'm so glad I won't have to see you jerks or do computer crap for 5 weeks."

Since then, the name has sort of stuck whenever the topic came up.  "Oh yeah, he's going to the Harvard of Cooking Schools.." 

Today I have to go pick up some steel-toed shoes at Mark's Work Warehouse and tomorrow is orientation.

Stay classy,
-THC

No comments:

Post a Comment